my best friend

my best friend
her name is saylor, and she'll love you no matter what.

Monday, November 1, 2010

35th Annual Marine Corps Marathon

OOORA!! I have finished my first marathon, that's right 26.2 miles. I'm sitting here moving at the pace of an 85 year old lady, but loving it at the same time. There has been such anticipation up to this race, it's such a high that I've finally did it! No matter how much my body might hate me right now, I am already contemplating my next race.  Pretty sure it'll be the OBX Flying Pirate Half Marathon, April 10th 2011...want to join me? Aaarrggh!

Ok first thing is first, was I physically ready for this race? Answer: YES. I won't lie, my legs were burning, my back was hurting, my poor feet were suffering from major blisters and my ankles felt like at any moment they might roll over...but that's what happens during a marathon, you hurt. I had to walk every now and then, and the last 5 miles were basically a run/walk combination..that's OK though I didn't set out to run the whole thing, or qualify for the Boston Marathon, I just wanted finish. I actually have to say that I'd rather of just ran, it hurt too much to walk.  

Was I mentally ready for this race? Answer: No, and yes. I honestly had no clue what was coming. I had run 20 miles before this race, but it did not compare to the marathon, at all. As much as you want to hold yourself back and pace yourself, you also want to get to that finish line. I knew it was going to be tough, by far the hardest thing I would ever attempt, but just had no clue HOW tough. You'd be surprised what your body will do if you put your mind to it. It also helped so much having all the spectators cheering for the runners, sometimes when all you wanted to do was walk, it helped seeing a cute little kid up ahead with her hand out waiting for a high five, and we all know how I feel about high fives.

Now on to some pro's and con's of the race. I kept some mental notes for the blog, as well as to keep me somewhat distracted during the 6 hours of running. We'll start with the con's, I like ending on a positive:

Con's:
  • People taking calls. Really? GET OFF THE COURSE. You wouldn't believe people were actually talking on their cell phones. I get it, if you want to tell your family where you are..but I'm pretty sure these were just casual conversations. That goes for the serial texters too. I got cut off by a girl who was just  walking along texting...really? I mean, you are NOT athletic if you are texting during a marathon. GET OFF THE COURSE.
  • The stickiness after running through a water station. This isn't a big deal, I mean by no means am I complaining about the water stations, but for about a mile afterwards, your shoes were just so sticky from all the Powerade, but thank God for the Powerade.
  • The windiness when crossing the bridge. That sucked, my body was so feeble as I was walking over the bridge, I was not trying to stand strong against the wind, I just let it carry me. Still sucked.
Pro's:
  • The course. I mean, how lucky am I to have completed my first marathon in the Nation's Capital. I saw all the monuments, the beautiful water, got to run over the 14th St. Bridge, and finish at Iwo Jima. Absolutely beautiful weather, sunny, clear, cool.
  • The spectators. Wow, what a great presence! They were so supportive and really helped when you needed that motivation. There were some great posters. My favorites are below. :)
  • The finish line. Not only are you done with the race, but you are ushered down a corral, get a medal put around your neck, given a space blanket (looks like a giant piece of tin foil, but keeps all your body heat in) and given a bag of food(BEST EVER). You also got your picture taken in front of the Iwo Jima monument with your medal, I MIGHT be purchasing :)
So, after the gallons of Powerade and water I downed, the 4 carb gels, 2 packets of sports beans, 2 orange slices, and the many gummy bears I ate, would I do this again? HELL YES! I am planning on signing up for it again next year and beating my time. There will also be various races in between. Below, I've listed my top favorite posters from the race, they sure gave me some laughs!!!
  • " Are you DTF after 26.2" (then had his phone number)
  • I love your costume, are you going as awesome?
  • Running puts the F.U. in FUN
  • You have great stamina, call me! (then the phone number)
  • FREE BEER at the end!
  • Don't walk, people are watching!
  • Your feet are only hurting because you are kicking so much ASS!
Now it's time for an ice bath, eeekk! Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment